The Chiefs have won their last two Super Rugby matches against the Hurricanes; they will be aiming for a third consecutive victory against them for the first time in the history of the competition.
The Chiefs defeated the Hurricanes in their most recent away meeting in Super Rugby (35-29 – 20 March 2021), snapping a four-match losing run in such fixtures; they will be aiming for consecutive wins on the road against the Hurricanes for just the second time in the history of the competition (W3, February 1997 to May 2001).
- The Hurricanes have won three of their last four Super Rugby matches against fellow New Zealand teams (L1), after winning only one of their eight New Zealand derbies prior (L7).
- The Chiefs have won each of their last two Super Rugby away matches; the last time they recorded a longer winning run on the road in the competition, was a three-game span from January to March in 2020.
- The Canes have a 90% success rate on their lineout throws this season, the best rate of any team in the competition, and four percentage points more than the Chiefs (86%).
- The Waikato side has made five offloads resulting in a try scored this season, more than any other team in the competition, and three more than the Hurricanes (2).
- The Wellington franchise has made dominant contact on 35 carries per game in 2022, the most of any team in the competition, and six per game more than the Chiefs (29).
- The Chiefs (76) and the Hurricanes (68) have crossed the gain-line on more carries per game than any other teams in Super Rugby Pacific.
Players to watch
- Peter Umaga-Jensen has provided four assists, the joint-most by any player (James O’Connor – 4); he has scored two tries in his four Super Rugby matches against the Chiefs.
- Samisoni Taukei’aho has a 94% success rate on his lineout throws (34/36) in 2022, the best of any player in the competition (min. 8 throws).
We are waiting for the kick-off.
1.00: PEEEP! We are underway in New Zealand.
2.00: TRY! TJ Pertenara intercepts Josh Ioane’s pass and runs half the field for the opening score. 5-0
3.00: CONVERSION! Jordie Barrett converts. 7-0
5.00: Josh Ioane combines with Sam Cane, who breaks free before playing in Anton Lienert-Brown to score. 7-5
6.00: CONVERSION! Ioane levels. 7-7
8.00: Sam Cane carries the bouncing ball over his try line, attacking scrum, Canes.
9.00: TRY! Wes Goosen scores his 27 Super Rugby try from the attacking set-piece. 12-7
10.00: MISS! The kick is wide. 12-7
13.00: Goosen is caught offsides inside his 22, Ioane calls for the tee.
13.00: PENALTY! Ioane knocks over the goal. 12-10
16.00: Asafo Aumua picks up a stripped ball, and races away to score; however, Ardie Savea is knocked on in the lineout.
19.00: A 12-phase attack ends with the Canes winning a penalty near the Chiefs’ 22.
22.00: MISS! Barrett cannot knock over the penalty, his kick rebounds off the post. 12-10
23.00: This game has been exceptional in the handling stakes; both teams have only committed one handling error.
25.00: Pita Gus Sowakula is off his feet after making the tackle, it looked like a harsh call against the number eight. Barrett will take another shot.
26.00: PENALTY! Barrett extends. 15-10
29.00: A bit of kicking from both teams for the first time in the game before Ardie Savea’s pass goes into touch.
31.00: The visitors have conceded six penalties to three. The home team starting to assert their dominance, except for a poor lineout that sees Perenara knock-on.
34.00: The game has calmed down since the frenetic opening 15 minutes, but there is a feeling that the tries have not dried up, just dormant.
36.00: Brad Weber decides to let Ioane kick to the opposition’s 22, instead of a scrum on halfway.
38.00: A poor lineout sees the Chiefs lose possession, and the Hurricanes clear.
40.00: a forward pass is missed by the ref, who then awards the lucky Chiefs a kickable penalty.
41.00: PENALTY! Ioane makes no mistake from in front. 15-13
The halftime score is Hurricanes 15 Chiefs 10
The score after 40 minutes is Hurricanes 15 (15) Chiefs 13 (13)
Tries – Perenara, Goosen
Pen – J. Barrett
Con – J. Barrett
Tries – A. Lienert-Brown
Pen – J. Ioane (2)
Con – J. Ioane
Referee: Brendon Pickerill
Assistant Ref 1: Paul Williams
Assistant Ref 2: Angus Mabey
TMO: Glenn Newman
Hurricanes: 15 Ruben Love, 14 Julian Savea, 13 Billy Proctor, 12 Jordie Barrett, 11 Wes Goosen, 10 Jackson Garden-Bachop, 9 TJ Perenara, 8 Ardie Savea (captain), 7 Du’Plessis Kirifi, 6 Reed Prinsep, 5 Scott Scrafton, 4 James Blackwell, 3 Tyrel Lomax, 2 Asafo Aumua, 1Pouri Rakete-Stones.
Replacements: 16 James O’Reilly, 17 Xavier Numia, 18 Tevita Mafileo, 19 Caleb Delany, 20 Devan Flanders, 21 Jamie Booth, 22 Bailyn Sullivan, 23 Josh Moorby.
Chiefs: 15 Emoni Narawa, 14 Alex Nankivell, 13 Anton Lienert-Brown, 12 Quinn Tupaea, 11 Etene Nanai-Seturo, 10 Josh Ioane, 9 Brad Weber (captain), 8 Pita Gus Sowakula, 7 Sam Cane, 6 Kaylum Boshier, 5 Naitoa Ah Kuoi, 4 Laghlan McWhan, 3 Angus Ta’avao, 2 Samisoni Taukei’aho, 1 Aidan Ross.
Replacements: 16 Tyrone Thompson, 17 Atu Moli, 18 Sione Mafileo, 19 Josh Lord, 20 Luke Jacobson, 21 Cortez Ratima, 22 Bryn Gatland, 23 Chase Tiatia.